Tuesday 15 February 2011

You can't wrap love in a box, but you can wrap a person in a hug. ~Author Unknown

Today was a particularly busy day for me, getting lots done but mainly in the office in my own company.... so what did I do to make me smile today?

This evening was a scramble to do it all, I dashed to drop off some papers at the charity lawyers, then off to the Cancer Partnership meeting and later followed by a More to Life Than Shoes meeting and now home....

So what did I do to make me smile today?

Well actually lots of little things made me smile today... even when I was filling out endless forms. Not sure quite why but little memories or triggers today seemed to make sense and create a picture. But that wasn't enough.. on my challenge journey I want to make others smile too.

So what did I do to make others smile today?

Well I figured that I had a great opportunity today. This particular cancer partnership meeting is made up of a range of people, ages and professions themselves affected by cancer together with medical professionals and charity representatives. Just before the meeting began a gentleman walked through the door. A man of 'distinction' (err queue Shirley Bassey singing in your head) and a gentleman of stature. He's wearing a tweed jacket and has a trilby hat perched on his head. But there was something instantly about this gentleman that said to me he was a little tired and perhaps showing a brave face. I'd met this gentleman before at a cancer conference and somehow tonight he seemed, despite his stature, to have lost his mojo a little. We talked briefly and he mentioned that his treatment was having side affects and as he spoke I felt his pain and saw it in his eyes.

So... I decided it was time for 'Mission Hug'... I put out my arms and said "I think you need a hug". Initially he looked a little bemused and surprised - I'm not sure he's the hugging kind or indeed I'm not sure he often has strange birds with their arms outstretched suggesting a hug. But he did. A little tensely at first. Hug. As we separated I saw him smile. I also saw a little twinkle in his eye had returned, as he'd had the first time I met him. And as we all said our goodbyes at the end of the meeting he suggested that we hug next time we meet too.

So I leave you today with a quote I found:
A hug is a great gift - one size fits all, and it's easy to exchange. ~Author Unknown

2 comments: